Montréal’s municipal libraries continue to reopen, and more services are available. Members can now go to shelves and use computer stations. However, the number of people admitted is limited and each library determine its capacity.
Montrealers have been eager for their libraries to reopen and now, they are able to enjoy all of the services their libraries offer as long as they comply with all health directives. In particular, members must maintain physical distancing and wear a face covering.
Loans and returns
Members can visit collections, choose the items they’d like to borrow and take them to the counter. Reference and reader assistance services are provided. Online and phone reservation services remain available.
Reading and work spaces
Our reading and work spaces are available with some restriction, such as the number of available places. For health reasons, members cannot read newspapers and magazines, but magazines can be checked out.
Good news! Members can use computer stations again, though for limited periods of time.
Memberships are resuming in all libraries. For the time being, digital memberships are still available.
Our digital collections and online services, just like remote memberships, remain available at all times.
Services that are not available
Accès Montréal cards
Accès Montréal cards can’t be issued at the library.
Toys and games
Toys and games in the kids’ section are not necessarily available.
Before you go
Here are a few things to know before you head to the library.
- Prepare your face covering. As of July 18, face coverings are mandatory for people over age 10 in enclosed public spaces
- Bring a reusable bag, your library card and your family members’ library cards (if you are picking up items for them).
- Plan on lineups to enter the library if it is at maximum capacity.
- Out of respect for other users, please limit the time you spend at the library
- If you come with your family, please limit yourselves to one parent and keep your kids close to you.
- We recommend that kids have an adult with them when they come to the library.
Please postpone your visit if you are experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19.