MC Challenge: A rap competition for young people at the arts centres
From March 11 to April 22, young rappers between the ages of 12 and 17 will perform before the general public during the finals of the MC Challenge.
Participants will compete in the five following events:
- Freestyle: Writing an original rap song
- Solo: Writing a complex rap with a strong or moving message
- Improv: Presenting a concept in a spontaneous and creative way
- MC vs. DJ: Adapting to different musical and rhythmic styles
- Circle: Collaborating and showing cohesiveness within a group
The winners of each borough final will participate in a series of workshops led by artists from the rap community. The workshops will allow them to prepare for the grand finale in Montréal, scheduled for the month of July.
Attend the borough finals
The finals are open to the public. They will be held in the 10 arts centres of the following boroughs:
- Ahuntsic-Cartierville: Maison de la culture Ahuntsic
- Anjou: Agora of the École secondaire d’Anjou
- Côte-des-Neiges–Notre-Dame-de-Grâce: Maison de la culture Notre-Dame-de-Grâce-Monkland
- Le Plateau-Mont-Royal: Maison de la culture du Plateau-Mont-Royal
- Mercier–Hochelaga-Maisonneuve: Maison de la culture Mercier
- Rivière-des-Prairies–Pointe-aux-Trembles: Maison de la culture Pointe-aux-Trembles
- Rosemont–La-Petite-Patrie: Maison de la culture Rosemont-La-Petite-Patrie
- Saint-Léonard: Bibliothèque de Saint-Léonard
- Verdun: Maison de la culture Verdun - Quai 5160
- Ville-Marie: Maison de la culture Janine-Sutto
Popular around the world
The “End Of the Weak MC Challenge” was launched in 2000 in New York City. It has been presented in Québec since 2011. The competition unfolds in more than 25 countries on five continents. A world final takes place each year, where a world champion is crowned
This event is staged in partnership with the organization End Of the Weak. It is part of the initiative Fous du français of the Union des municipalités du Québec in collaboration with the Québec government.