Want to help establish the priorities for Montréal’s next budget? Learn more about the city’s budgetary process? Get all the details on the public consultation that will be held in preparation for the 2023 budget, and how you can participate.
The pre-budget consultation is among the steps involved in the annual budgetary process. This process determines Montréal’s operating and capital expenditures for the coming year.
How should Montréal, as Québec’s metropolis, finance its activities in connection with housing, public transit and public safety? What measures could be adopted to diversify its revenue streams? What activities and services should be prioritized?
Organized by theCommission sur les finances et l’administration, the pre-budget consultation gives residents an opportunity to voice their opinions on these issues and help shape the priorities for the next budget.
The prebudgetary consultation will include several steps:
- Information session: May 18, 2022
- Submission of briefs or opinions in writing: until June 10 (registration deadline: June 1st, 2022)
- Public hearings for the presentation of briefs: June 8, 9, 10 and 15, 2022
- Review of written briefs and opinions received: June 16 to August 13, 2022
- Presentation and adoption of the recommendations issued by the Commission sur les finances et l’administration: July 5, 2022
- Presentation and adoption of the 2023 budget: November and December 2022
How to participate
Want to take part in the consultation? You can choose between different options:
- Attend the public information session.
- Transmit a written brief or opinion by no later than June 10. Get informed.
This consultation is part of continuing work on Montréal’s taxation framework, aimed at finding ways to diversify revenues and make the city less dependent on property taxes.