Want to help establish the priorities for Montréal’s next budget? Learn more about the city’s budgetary process? Get all the details on the public consultation that will be held in preparation for the 2023 budget, and how you can participate.
The pre-budget consultation is among the steps involved in the annual budgetary process. This process determines Montréal’s operating and capital expenditures for the coming year. The consultation is organized by the Commission sur les finances et l’administration.
Subjects of the consultation
The pre-budget consultation is an opportunity to contribute to the guidelines of the next budget by stating your position on the following issues:
- Fiscal and green taxation measures that could be put in place to diversify the city’s revenue streams
- Priorization and optimization of municipal activities and services
- Financing of expenditures for activities common to the 16 municipalities on the island of Montréal
The prebudgetary consultation will include several steps:
- Online questionnaire: March 22 to April 6, 2023
- Information session: March 29, 2023
- Submission of briefs or opinions in writing: until April 18
- Public hearings for the presentation of briefs: April 25 (2 sessions) and 27, 2023 (registration deadline: April 18)
- Presentation and adoption of the recommendations issued by the Commission sur les finances et l’administration: May 19, 2023
- Tabling of recommendations to city council and agglomeration council: June 12 and 15, 2023
- Presentation and adoption of the 2024 budget: November 2023
The public consultation is over. The recommendations will be published in June. Written opinions and briefs submitted during the consultation are available on this page.
This consultation is part of continuing work on Montréal’s taxation framework, aimed at finding ways to diversify revenues and make the city less dependent on property taxes.