A historic, vibrant mercantile district, Rue Peel is getting a comprehensive rebuild. The modernization of its utility networks and water mains provides an opportunity to rethink its public space, definitively focused on pleasing its many daily users.
Coming soon in your neighbourhood
Learn all about this project
- Between Rue Smith and Rue Notre-Dame;
- Between Rue Notre-Dame and Boulevard René-Lévesque.
Resumption of work in February 2021 to finish in fall 2021.
Rue Peel, between Rue Smith and Rue Notre-Dame – the Griffintown sector:
- Work on electrical networks on Rue Peel, between Rue Smith and Rue Ottawa;
- Reconstruction of the pavement and sidewalk on the west side of Avenue Peel;
- Construction of a bike path on the west side;
- Planting of trees and finish work on the east side.
Rue Peel, between Rue Notre-Dame and Boulevard René-Lévesque:
- Work on the electrical and telecommunications networks, between Rue Saint-Antoine and Boulevard René-Lévesque;
- Reconstruction of the pavement and sidewalks, between Rue Saint-Antoine and Boulevard René-Lévesque;
- Construction of a bike path, between Rue Saint-Antoine and Boulevard René-Lévesque;
- Continuation of permanent surface improvement works, between Rue Notre-Dame and Rue Saint-Antoine, including tree planting.
Some sections of Rue Peel have seen their aging underground infrastructures (water and sewers) replaced recently, but work remains to be done on the rest of the street. This gives the city a unique opportunity to redevelop the public space in a unified manner so as to provide citizens with a more pleasing, more user-friendly space.
The project also provides an opportunity to showcase Montréal’s rich millennial history and encourage safer, more enjoyable active mobility and public transit.
Work in Progress Notices
- Rue Peel - Partial reopening of Rue Peel and Partial opening of the REV - september 2021 [PDF 1 MB]
- Rue Peel: Complete closure of rue Peel - August 14 and 15 , 2021 [PDF 389 KB]
- Travaux rue Peel - Réaménagement de la rue Peel, entre les rues Notre-Dame et le boulevard René-Lévesque à compter du 7 juin (in French) [PDF 393 KB]
- Travaux rue Peel - travaux et entraves dès le 6 avril (in French) [PDF 619 KB]
- Travaux rue Peel - Reprise des travaux entre la rue Notre-Dame et le boulevard René-Lévesque, à compter du 1er février 2021 (in French) [PDF 525 KB]