Work is underway on Re Sainte-Catherine Est, in Mercier–Hochelaga-Maisonneuve. It may have an impact on your trips. Here’s what you need to know.
Find the latest news about the project and what Montréal is doing to reduce its impacts here.
Work in progress
Until October 2021
- Reconstruction of a secondary drinking water line and road work: Rue Sainte-Catherine Est, between Avenue William-David and Rue Aird.
- Rehabilitation of sewer lines by inserting a ‘sleeve’: Avenue William-David, Avenue Bennett, and Rue Adam. Actualité du chantier.
From October to December 2021
Work by the Commission des services électriques de Montréal (CSEM):
- Rue Sainte-Catherine Est, between Avenue William-David and Rue Leclaire
- Rue Sainte-Catherine Est, between Rue Theodore and Rue Saint-Clément*
*The work operations carried out during this fall phase were initially scheduled for next year. By completing them now, the contractor will be able to begin work on the sidewalks and roads under optimal conditions in 2022. This change in schedule, which was necessary due to supply chain delays for certain materials, will make it possible to meet the planned completion date for the work.
Work to come
From February to October 2022
- Work performed by the Commission des services électriques de Montréal (CSEM): Rue Sainte-Catherine Est, between Rue Saint-Clément and Rue Viau.
- Reconstruction of a secondary drinking water main and road work: Rue Sainte-Catherine Est between Avenue Aird and Rue Viau.
Getting around during the project
To complete these projects, partial and complete street closures will be required, in co-ordination with the different work phases.
Pedestrian access to residences, businesses and city buildings will be maintained at all times. Work managers will closely collaborate with businesses and institutions to reduce temporary obstructions to their buildings and impacts on their day-to-day activities.
Construction work is likely to generate noise between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on weekdays. In order to comply with the project schedule, work may continue during the weekend, in compliance with city regulations.
Mitigation measures are in effect to improve travel in the area:
- Local travel is maintained
- Detour routes are established
- Pedestrian walkways are maintained
Work will be planned so as to reduce circulation obstacles. For each stage of the work, a circulation plan will be developed by a team of specialists in collaboration with Mercier–Hochelaga-Maisonneuve. Circulation plans will be distributed to area residents and businesses as well as to motorists, cyclists, pedestrians and emergency services.
For more information about work progress and the impacts on traffic, see the Info-Travaux map.
Consult the most recent work notices.
- Projet Sainte-Catherine Est - Avis aux résidents - 22 novembre (in French) [PDF 357 KB]
- Projet Sainte-Catherine Est - Avis aux résidents - 15 novembre 2021 (in French) [PDF 362 KB]
- Projet Sainte-Catherine Est- Avis aux résidents - 1 novembre 2021 (in French) [PDF 366 KB]
- Projet Sainte-Catherine Est - Avis aux résidents - 18 octobre 2021 (in French) [PDF 363 KB]
- Rue Sainte-Catherine Est - Construction de puits d'accès par la CSEM - 11 octobre 2021 (in French) [PDF 362 KB]
- Avis de travaux - Projet Sainte-Catherine Est (in French) [PDF 365 KB]
- Travaux Sainte-Catherine Est - Séance d'information publique - Document questions et réponses (in French) [PDF 111 KB]