In Montréal, pet owners must comply with certain regulations intended to help humans and their pets live better together. Here are some best practices to adopt.
The By-law Concerning Domestic Animals sets out responsibilities for pet owners with the aim of promoting best practices and controlling nuisances. It is also intended to prevent aggressive dog behaviour.
Your obligations and responsibilities
- Possess a valid license for your dog or cat and renew it yearly.
- Ensure that your cat (except if he or she is microchipped) or dog wears a tag issued by the city at all times.
- Ensure that your cat or dog is spayed/neutered and microchipped.
- Keep your dog on a 1.85 m leash (maximum) when it is outdoors.
- Make sure your dog or pig wears a harness or a halter if he or she weighs 20 kg or more.
- Do not use a collar that is likely to be painful to your pet.
- Do not tie your pet to a tree or to street furniture with no supervision.
- Keep control of your dog at all times.
- Do not let your dog drink from a water fountain in a park or a public place.
- Do not let your dog enter a playground.
- Pick up your dog’s droppings and place them in a trash can.
- Avoid feeding your animal outdoors, as doing so may attract wild animals.
- Make sure your pet does not disturb the peace or hinder public safety.
- Never leave your animal alone outdoors, outside of your property, for its own safety. Coyote capture campaigns are held in some boroughs, and a pet can easily be accidentally captured or injured.
If your dog is deemed potentially dangerous, you must comply with certain ownership conditions and obtain a special license.
Domestic pigs are subject to the same regulations as dogs.
Vaccinating your pet
It is important to have your pet vaccinated to protect both you and your pet. If you bring your dog to dog parks, we recommend that you have him or her vaccinated and treated against parasites.
Information and services
No borough selected.
Select a borough
- Le Plateau-Mont-Royal
- Le Sud-Ouest
- Rosemont–La Petite-Patrie
will become your favourite borough.