What should you do during periods of extreme heat? Where are the public places you can go to cool off in Montréal? Follow these tips to protect yourself during heat waves.
- Drink six to eight glasses of water a day. Don’t wait until you feel thirsty.
- To help your body temperature get back to normal, rest in a cool place – with air conditioning, or in the shade – for two hours every day.
- Wear loose, light-coloured clothing.
- Limit physical effort, especially in the middle of the day when temperatures are highest.
- Take a cool shower or bath, or cool down with a wet towel.
- Call people you are close to, especially older or vulnerable people, to find out how they are doing.
Places to cool off
Symptoms to watch for
Call Info-Santé at 811 or talk to a health care professional if you have these symptoms.
- Exhaustion (fatigue)
- Dehydration (dry mouth)
If you have these symptoms and are also feverish, you may be experiencing heatstroke. This is a medical emergency. Call 911 to get help quickly.