A summit aiming to improve worksite management

Last updated June 1, 2023
Reading time: 2 min

How can we reduce the impact of worksites on economic activity and on citizens’ daily lives? The Summit on Worksites is meant to mobilize all stakeholders involved in infrastructure work, in order to find solutions.

In Montréal, only 30 % of roadwork is carried out by the city and its boroughs. The remaining 70 % of work is done by private organizations and contractors. 

Last March, some 100 people, including city representatives, members of the civil society such as pedestrian, truck driver, cyclist or store owners’ associations, experts, real estate promoters, landlords and contractors met to discuss worksite management.

The goal: converge to determine concerted, innovative solutions in an effort to improve mobility and access to stores and institutions while reducing nuisances for the population.

Solutions implemented since the Summit

A follow-up committee has been formed in order to ensure that the solutions proposed during the Summit are rolled out. It is composed of the Ville de Montréal, the Ministère des Transports et de la Mobilité durable du Québec (MTMD), Hydro-Québec, the Commission des services électriques de Montréal, the Association québécoise des entrepreneurs en infrastructure and Montréal Centre-Ville.

As of 2023

  • The city will enhance surveillance to ensure that: 
    • the road signs are installed only 24 hours before the start of a project, and removed within 24 hours of its completion.
    • the road signs are removed if the work site remains inactive for more than five days. 
  • The resources and surveillance times of the Mobility Squad have been enhanced.

Mid-term improvements

  • Expand access to the AGIR geolocalized digital platform in order for all partners to be involved in a broader scope of planning.
  • Implement new requirements for occupancy permits along the main mobility axes. 
  • Review the permit billing and notice of offense procedure. 
  • Grant more powers to the mobility squad.
  • Continuous improvement of communication tools in collaboration with partners.

Consult the Summit report

Video footage

Watch the opening and closing statements (in French) presented at the Summit.