New bike paths, with an approximate length of seven kilometres on Avenue Christophe-Colomb, from Boulevard Gouin to Rue Saint-Grégoire, will connect four boroughs. The new path will make travel safer, by bike, as well as on foot, by bus and in cars.
Learn all about the project
In 2023 and 2024
On Avenue Christophe-Colomb, between Boulevard Gouin and Rue Saint-Grégoire.
Ahuntsic-Cartierville, Le Plateau-Mont-Royal, Rosemont–La Petite-Patrie and Villeray–Saint-Michel–Parc-Extension
The bicycle path on Avenue Christophe-Colomb, between Boulevard Gouin and Rue Jarry will be redesigned and extended to Rue Saint-Grégoire.
A protected one-way lane will be installed on each side of Avenue Christophe-Colomb, between the sidewalk and the parking lane. Cyclists will continue to be able to travel during the work.
In 2023, new bike lanes will be created between Boulevard Gouin and Boulevard Rosemont. Bollards will be installed to provide a physical separation from the parking lane.
In 2024, the bike path will be extended to Rue Saint-Grégoire. Bus loading areas and bus shelters will also be installed along the entire length of the bike path. The new configuration will be permanent.
Traffic and parking
- One traffic lane in each direction will be removed from Rue Jarry to Boulevard Rosemont
- One northbound traffic lane will be removed between Rue Saint-Grégoire and Boulevard Rosemont
- Public transit service will be maintained
- Bus stops will be transferred to the far side of intersections for safer travel on foot and bicycle
- About thirty traffic lights will be modified
- Eighty-five per cent of parking spaces will be maintained
In addition to making travel safer, the redesign of Christophe-Colomb will mean:
- Traffic calming due to the removal of automobile travel lanes
- A response to the increasing bicycle use on this axis, as evidenced, in particular, by the congestion on the Rue Boyer bicycle path
- Better sharing of mobility space among all travel modes
- Active transportation
- Better connectivity by bicycle: easy access to about ten parks, several east-west bike paths, recreational centres as well as nearby childcare centres and schools
- Reduction in greenhouse gas emissions
Project progress in photos
Check out these photos to see how work is progressing and how our teams are getting the job done.
The new and improved facilities
Our teams making it happen
Did you miss the information evening on the improvement and development of bicycle path on Christophe-Colomb Avenue? Watch it here:
Consult the results of the online survey of the population in February 2023 (in French).