Montréal Pledge: Call for COP15 launched to world’s cities
As host city to COP15, Montréal has invited cities across the world to make a commitment to protecting biodiversity. The challenge is to take 15 tangible actions towards pursuing and accelerating their efforts to preserve ecosystems.
In less than a month, 57 cities from all across the globe, from the 5 continents, have already commited to the Montreal Pledge. Together, they shelter more than 123 million people.
The tangible actions that cities take should fall under one of the following three categories:
- Reducing threats to biodiversity
- Sharing the benefits of biodiversity
- Solutions, governance, management and education
These actions are in alignment and cohesion with the following initiatives:
- First Draft of the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, presented by the Secretariat of the United Nations Convention on Biological Biodiversity (CDB).
- ICLEI Cities with Nature, an international platform highlighting the commitments and initiatives undertaken by cities to promote greening and biodiversity protection.
- C40 Urban Nature Accelerator, a commitment by cities across the world that are actively supporting nature and climate resilience.
Several major cities have already signed the Montréal Pledge, including Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Milan and Paris.
Montréal’s call to the cities of the world
Rise to the challenge
Do you represent a city that wants to accept Montréal’s challenge? Write to us to confirm your participation with an official letter.