As host city to COP15, Montréal has invited cities across the world to make a commitment to protecting biodiversity. The challenge is to take 15 tangible actions towards pursuing and accelerating their efforts to preserve ecosystems.
So far, 61 cities from all across the globe have already commited to the Montreal Pledge.
Paris (France), Milano (Italy), Barcelona (Spain), London (United Kingdom), Lyon (France), Malaga (Spain), Manchester (United Kingdom), Helsinki (Finland), Glasgow (United Kingdom), Marseille (France), Lisbonne (Portugal), Ultrecht (The Netherlands), Bordeaux (France), Reykjavik (Iceland), Berlin (Germany), Copenhague (Denmark)
Sado (Japan), Yokohama (Japan), Quezon (The Philippines), Melbourne (Australia), Sendai (Japan), Nagoya (Japan), Tokyo (Japan), Sydney (Australia)
Freetown (Sierra Leone), Rabat (Marocco), Dakar (Senegal)
Buenos Aires (Argentina), Bogota (Perou), éThelwini (Durban South Africa), Santiago (Chile), São Paulo (Brasil), Curitiba (Brasil)
Los Angeles (California), Boston (Massachusetts), Phoenix (Arizona), Washington DA (Washington DC), Austin (Texas)
Windsor (Ontario), Mississauga (Ontario), Vancouver (British Columbia), Toronto (Ontario), Hamilton (Ontario)
Montréal, Terrebonne, Laval, Longueuil, Lévis, Québec, Gatineau, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières, Bécancour, Chambly, La Sarre, Ville de Sainte-Julie, Ville de Saint-Jean sur Richelieu, Ville de Fossambault-sur-le-lac, Ville de Nicolet, Ville de Brossard, MRC Brome-Missisquoi.
The tangible actions that cities take should fall under one of the following three categories:
- Reducing threats to biodiversity
- Sharing the benefits of biodiversity
- Solutions, governance, management and education
These actions are in alignment and cohesion with the following initiatives:
- First Draft of the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, presented by the Secretariat of the United Nations Convention on Biological Biodiversity (CDB).
- ICLEI Cities with Nature, an international platform highlighting the commitments and initiatives undertaken by cities to promote greening and biodiversity protection.
- C40 Urban Nature Accelerator, a commitment by cities across the world that are actively supporting nature and climate resilience.
Rise to the challenge
Do you represent a city that wants to accept Montréal’s challenge?
Write to us to confirm your participation with an official letter.