From September 2021 to spring 2022, the city will be redesigning Square Chaboillez, located within the block between Rue Peel, Rue Saint-Jacques, Rue de la Cathédrale and Rue Notre-Dame. Learn why we’re doing this work.
An urban park, designed with its users in mind
Square Chaboillez, located directly across from Centre d’entrepreneurship technologique (Centech) of École de technologie supérieure (ÉTS), will be transformed into a green urban park. It will be a space to take a break, meet people, and enjoy other activities. The central area will be left open and visible from the street to ensure public safety. New trees will join those already planted. Modern benches, surrounding green planting areas, will be added to encourage socializing and provide a sense of ownership for everyone coming to the park.
One of the distinctive elements of the park will be four small rain gardens which will be planted with perennials. During rain storms, these basins will hold water and limit discharge into the sewers. They will become islands of cooling and biodiversity, and will improve the user experience.
Rethinking the design
he landscape design includes:
- Demolition of paving and concrete, the existing cobblestones and edging
- Creation of four vegetated bioretention islands
- Installation of utility access and basins
- Laying of concrete pavers, reconstruction of a sidewalk section and water lines, and replacement of the lighting
- Creation and installation of custom furniture in concrete and wood
- Planting of lawns and other vegetation