The world’s largest ozonation unit is under construction at Montréal’s Jean-R. Marcotte wastewater treatment plant. Here’s the latest news on the project.
About the project
- On the grounds of the Jean-R.-Marcotte plant in Rivière-des-Prairies
- Île aux Vaches
- Rue Sherbrooke East
Until December 2024
This huge project is divided into several phases. Each step was planned, in conjunction with the ministries concerned, to limit the impacts on the population and on recreational boaters, as well as on aquatic fauna and flora.
First phase: work on the drainage canals
Until the end of October 2022
- Construction of a temporary bypass canal to allow the plant to continue operating throughout the project
- Connection of the bypass canal to the existing conduit
- Work on the drainage structures located on Rue Sherbrooke East and on Île aux Vaches
November 2022 to April 2023
- Construction of the western siphon
- Redirection of treated water to the eastern outfall
- Closing of the western canal and commissioning of the western siphon
November 2023 to April 2024
- Construction of the eastern siphon
- Redirection of treated water to the western outfall
- Commissioning of the eastern siphon
8 other phases of work will follow to construct the various structures and buildings comprising the ozonation unit.
Monday to Friday from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Evenings, nights and weekends, if necessary
Noise and odours
A certain level of noise may be generated by the work. Since the project includes removing components of the odour treatment system (permanent biofilters) this year, temporary biofilters will be installed to reduce odours that may persist near the plant.
Resident in the surrounding areas can report excessive noise or odours by writing to [email protected]. You will receive a form to fill out and return to the station so that the personnel in charge can deal with your complaint.
Notice of work operations
Consult the recent notices of work operations.
- Poursuite des travaux à la station Jean-R.-Marcotte - août 2023 (in French) [PDF 582 KB]
- Unité d'ozonation - Travaux de réfection du puit Ouest et émanation d’odeurs - février à mars 2023 (in French) [PDF 410 KB]
- Unité d'ozonation - Poursuite des travaux de nuit et de fin de semaine à la station Jean-R.-Marcotte - Jusqu’au printemps 2023 (in French) [PDF 582 KB]
- Unité d'ozonation - Travaux de nuit à la station Jean-R.-Marcotte - À partir du 6 septembre (in French) [PDF 582 KB]
- Unité d'ozonation - Travaux près de la rue Sherbrooke - À partir du 6 septembre (in French) [PDF 687 KB]
- Unité d'ozonation - Travaux prévus à l'île aux Vaches - Août 2022 (in French) [PDF 403 KB]
- Unité d'ozonation - Début des travaux - Juin 2022 (in French) [PDF 773 KB]
- Ozonation unit - Jean-R.-Marcotte treatment plant [PDF 283 KB]