Last updated April 15, 2024

Eviction of tenants from their home is strictly controlled by law. If you have received an eviction notice, make sure you know your rights and the cases where your landlord can ask you to leave.

In Québec, disputes between landlords and tenants of a dwelling are dealt with by the Tribunal administratif du logement (TAL), formerly known as the Régie du logement.

Cases of eviction

There are two situations that can lead to tenants being evicted from their home.

Eviction by a bailiff

Owners can file a complaint with the Tribunal for the following reasons:

  • Rent is more than 21 days late
  • Rent is frequently paid late
  • Tenants disturb the peaceful enjoyment of other tenants 

Once the decision has been rendered, it can be submitted to a bailiff, who will send an eviction notice to the tenant and will coordinate the eviction with the borough. Belongings are put into storage under certain conditions.  The tenant can recover them by contacting the borough.

Major project or change of use of a dwelling

Landlords who want to subdivide, expand or change the use of a dwelling unit may send a notice of eviction. Check with your borough to see if the landlord’s project falls into this category.

Evacuation because of unsanitary conditions

The city may evacuate an unsafe dwelling that is hazardous to the health and safety of its occupants. In these situations, the city assists tenants with their relocation or temporary lodging process.

Helpful resources 

Visit the following websites for more information:

Housing committees can also help you to stand up for your rights:

Learn more about the topic