Debt, expense, equipment and infrastructure management: Montréal has adopted numerous financial policies to guarantee the sound management of public funds.
These policies (in French) set out financial management practices for all the city’s activities. They serve as a decision-making guide for the executive committee, city council, agglomeration council and borough councils, as well as for all senior managers and para-municipal corporations.
These policies evolve year after year to take into account, among other things, changes to laws and regulations and to administrative and financial requirements, as well as changing practices.
The policies follow the principles developed by the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) and recommended by the Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l’Habitation (MMAH). They have been adopted by the city council and the agglomeration council.
- Capitalization and Amortization Policy for Capital Expenditures [PDF 77 KB]
- Debt Management Policy [PDF 60 KB]
- Expense Management Policy [PDF 41 KB]
- Policy on Operating Surplus Management [PDF 40 KB]
- Balanced Budget Policy [PDF 44 KB]
- Policy on Equipment and Infrastructures [PDF 44 KB]
- Policy on Sources of Revenue [PDF 41 KB]