Is your neighbourhood under a drinking water advisory due to contaminated tap water? Please follow these instructions until water service is restored.
Instructions for resident
In the event that a drinking water advisory is issued, do not drink the tap water, even if it has been boiled. The water may contain chemical products that are hazardous to human health, even if it is clear, odourless and tasteless. Tests will be carried out to determine the nature of the contamination.
Bottled water or tap water
- For drinking or preparing beverages, baby formula, foods or ice cubes (dispose of those already made)
- For washing fruits, vegetables and dishes
- For brushing your teeth and rinsing your mouth
- For pets
- For hand-washing with soap (making sure to dry your hands well)
- For washing clothes
- For showering or bathing (being careful not to swallow the water and making sure to wash young children with a washcloth)
- For flushing the toilet
Instructions for industries, businesses and institutions
- Shut off all water sources.
- Notify clients that the water cannot be used and post this information at locations where water is still available, if applicable.
- For food service establishments: Tap water should not be used to clean equipment or facilities.
Resumption of regular services
Has the drinking water advisory been lifted? Tests will be carried out to ensure that the tap water is potable and safe for drinking again.
Residents are advised to take the following additional precautions before drinking the water.
- Follow the specific rinsing instructions issued by the city based on the nature of the contamination.
- Change the filters if you have a water treatment or filtration system (pitcher, faucet filter or under-sink filter, refrigerator water dispenser, etc.) by observing the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Empty, wash and disinfect coffee makers and ice-making machines.
- Clean the aerator (the filter that unscrews at the end of the tap), if possible. Some taps may be different and may not have an accessible aerator.
It is not necessary to empty the hot water tank, unless otherwise indicated in the rinsing instructions.