Is your neighbourhood under a boil-water advisory? Not to worry! Please follow these instructions until water service is restored.
Instructions for residents
When a boil-water advisory is in effect, it is important to bring the water to a full rolling boil for at least one minute. The boiled water will keep in the refrigerator for three days and at room temperature for 24 hours.
A notice will be issued once it is safe to drink the tap water again.
Boiled water or tap water
- For drinking, preparing beverages or making ice cubes (dispose of those already made)
- For preparing baby formula and baby food
- For washing and preparing food to be eaten raw (fruits, vegetables, etc.)
- For preparing foods that do not require long cooking times (canned soup, desserts, etc.)
- For brushing your teeth or rinsing your mouth
- For pets
- For washing your hands with soap (making sure to dry them well)
- For washing dishes in hot water (making sure to dry them well)
- For washing clothes
- For showering or bathing (being careful not to swallow the water and to wash young children with a washcloth)
Instructions for industries, businesses and institutions
• Shut off all the water fountains.
• Notify clients that the water is not safe for drinking and post this information in locations where water is still available.
Resumption of water services
Has the boil-water advisory been lifted? Tests will be carried out to ensure that the tap water is potable and safe for drinking again.
Residents are advised to take the following additional precautions before drinking the water again:
- Turn on all the cold water taps and let the water run for a few minutes before using it in order to completely flush the plumbing. Apply the same procedure to outdoor taps, hoses and drinking fountains.
- Empty, wash and disinfect coffee makers and ice-making machines.
- Change the filters if you have a water treatment or filtration system (pitcher, faucet filter or under-sink filter, refrigerator water dispenser, etc.) by observing the manufacturer’s recommendations.
It is not necessary to empty the hot water tank.