Contest a statement of offence

Last updated September 26, 2023

Did you receive a statement of offence that you want to contest? Find out how here.

To contest a statement of offence, you must plead not guilty. You have 30 days to submit your plea after receiving your ticket.

Who can contest 

Only the defendant (the person whose name appears on the ticket) or his or her lawyer can enter a not-guilty plea.

For parking infractions, only the owner or long-term lessee of the vehicle can enter a plea.

For statements of offence issued to a vehicle that is registered to a legal entity (a business), the company administrator or director can plead not guilty.

How to contest


You can contest parking or traffic tickets online.

You must hold a driver’s license or registration issued by the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ).

In person, by mail or by e-mail

You can contest all types of infractions by entering a non-guilty plea in person, by postal mail or by e-mail.

Just detach the response form from the statement of offence and complete all the fields in the “Not-guilty plea” section. If applicable, provide explanations and proof concerning the offence of which you have been accused.

If you no longer have the statement of offence, you can use the form below.

After you contest

After pleading not guilty, you will receive a notice of hearing by mail that will inform you of the date and time of your hearing at municipal court.

To ensure you receive your hearing notice, quickly notify the court of your change of address if you move.

Hearing process and documents required

At the hearing you will have the opportunity to give your explanations and have your witness heard.

You must bring all the documents you wish to submit to the judge for your defense (your notes, reports, photographs, sketches or other documents that you deem useful, in paper form, on a USB key or CD).


Contest an infraction

Use our online service to contest a parking or traffic ticket.

303, rue Notre-Dame Est
Montréal, QC H2Y 3Y8

7275 Rue Sherbrooke Est
Second floor
Montréal, QC H1N 1E9

1405, rue de l'Église
Montréal, QC H4L 2H4

7777 Boulevard Newman
Suite 301
Montréal, QC H8N 1X7

You can also plead not guilty within 30 days of receiving the ticket by visiting an Accès Montréal office.

However, if the deadline has passed, you must visit a municipal court service point (see above).

Visit a point of service with the completed and signed form found below. The form is also available on site. 
Be sure to bring photo ID with you.

Municipal court

P.O. Box 11046, Downtown Station
Montréal, QC H3C 4Y2

Send your completed and signed not-guilty plea. Make sure to plan for sufficient time for us to receive your plea within 30 days of the date on which you received the statement of offence.

Send your completed and signed not-guilty plea.