Learn about the types of infraction that are tried by the municipal court, and in which jurisdictions they can be issued. Learn about the steps to follow after you receive a statement of offence.
A statement of offence is a ticket issued by the Service de police de la Ville de Montréal (SPVM) or a police department in a reconstituted city for purposes of sanctioning an infraction that takes place within the limits of the agglomeration.
The sanction usually involves the payment of a fine, and sometimes community service.
Types of infraction
The municipal court tries infractions related only to:
- Pet behaviour
- Lack of cleanliness on a public road (e.g., household waste and recycling collection)
The municipal court is responsible for infractions that take place:
- In the 19 boroughs of Montréal.
- In one of the reconstituted cities:
- Côte Saint-Luc
- Town of Mount Royal
- Montréal West
- Sainte-Anne de Bellevue
After the infraction is issued
When a statement of offence is issued to you for an infraction, you can:
- Pay the total amount claimed: In this case, you must transmit a plea of guilty.
- Contest the infraction: You refuse to pay the amount in full or in part, and you transmit a plea of not guilty. In this case, you must appear before the court, and you will receive a summons to attend a hearing in person or online.
If you do not pay the fine and do not respond to the follow-up notice, you must appear before the court
Payment without a guilty plea
If you choose to pay the statement of offence in full, you must transmit a guilty plea.
If you do not transmit a plea, the mere fact of paying the fine will be considered to confirm your guilt and a judgment to that effect will be deemed to have been rendered upon receipt of your payment
Change a plea
If you wish to change your plea following the judgment, your only option is to lodge an appeal in Superior Court.
If the Highway Safety Code calls for demerit points for an infraction alleged against you, the points will be added to your driving record. The court will notify the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) concerning the judgment.
Entente de paiement
Si vous ne pouvez pas payer le montant de l’amende en une seule fois, vous pouvez demander à conclure une entente de paiement avec le percepteur de la Cour pour échelonner les versements. Cette entente s’appuiera sur l’étude de votre situation financière.
Information and services
- Add a statement of offence to a payment agreement
- Change a plea in connection with a statement of offence
- Contest a statement of offence
- Make a partial payment under a payment agreement
- Make a payment to lift the suspension of a driver’s licence
- Pay a statement of offence
- Request a payment agreement
- Submit a request for official documents from the municipal court
will become your favourite borough.