“Occupancy of public property” permits: A permit holders’ guide

Last updated November 3, 2021
Reading time: 2 min

Have you gotten a permit to temporarily occupy a street, alley or sidewalk? Whether you’re planning to carry out work, move, film or hold an event, you must ensure that you obey municipal by-laws.

Making sure the work site is safe

Make sure work sites are secured at all times. You must make sure that all equipment is compliant and works properly (machines, vehicles and protective equipment) in order to prevent accidents that could injure the public.

The space must remain accessible

For the time that you are occupying the property, you must ensure that you maintain a clear, linear and continuous pedestrian walkway with a minimum width of 1.5 m. These crossings must be designed for all types of pedestrians, including wheelchair users, people who are visually impaired, and parents pushing strollers.

In some boroughs, you must also provide a bicycle lane.

Homes must remain accessible. Also ensure that emergency vehicles can reach the work site at all times.

Collections (garbage, composting, recycling, etc.) must be possible even during your occupancy. If the street is inaccessible, you must enter into an agreement with the borough’s public works team to determine the collection procedures.

Please note that during the winter months, the permit holder is responsible for clearing snow from the occupied area and from the pedestrian and bicycle crossings, if applicable.

Install temporary signage

As a permit holder, you are responsible for procuring and installing all temporary signage required during your occupancy. This includes:

  • Road signs according to the standards of the Ministère des Transports du Québec (Volume V)
  • “No parking” signs

“No parking” signs must be set up 12 to 14 hours before the start of occupancy. 

Once the signs are installed, you must complete a sign installation form. Please send it to the Agence de mobilité durable (AMD) and the borough in which the work is carried out. You will find the borough’s e-mail address on your permit.

The contractor’s name must be displayed on the site for the duration of the work being performed.

Communicate with stakeholders

For some types of occupancy, a bus stop, BIXI station, etc. may need to be moved. It is your responsibility to contact the various stakeholders before your occupancy period begins.

Here are some examples:

Parking meters and pay stations

Please note that the Agence de la mobilité durable (ADM) is responsible for removing or covering parking meters and pay stations. The ADM will perform these actions following your permit request.

A charge for this service will be added to your bill. If you have any problems, please contact [email protected].

Police presence

The borough may require you to call in police officers, for example, for work that affects traffic lights or for major obstructions.

If police officers are required to direct traffic, you must complete a request form (in French) and send it to the SPVM at [email protected].

Be mindful of noise

You must comply with all noise by-laws. The rules vary depending on borough.