Last updated November 19, 2021

Wondering if your neighbour is allowed to carry out renovation work during the evening? Want to file a noise complaint? Find out what you need to know.

Each borough has its own rules

Renovations, landscape maintenance, heavy vehicle traffic, installation of a heat pump; specific rules govern noise in the neighbourhood, on construction sites and in businesses. Each district has its own rules.

Firecrackers and pyrotechnics are prohibited at all times and in all places, except in the case of fireworks authorized by a borough council.

Filing a complaint

There are three ways to file a complaint depending on what type of noise you are experiencing: neighbourhood noise, construction noise or commercial noise. Consult our Making a complaint about excessive noise page to choose the right course of action.

Noise of planes and trains

Rail and air transportation is not managed by the city. Here’s who you should contact to make a complaint, depending on your situation:

  • Noise along air corridors (air traffic lanes): Aéroports de Montréal at 514-633-3351
  • Other kinds of aircraft, airship, helicopter and drone noises:  Transport Canada at 1-800-305-2059 or by e-mail at [email protected]
  • Train noise: Canadian National at 1-888-888-5909 or Canadian Pacific at 1-800-766-7912

Learn more about the topic