Each day, the city supplies drinking water to more than 2 million people and thousands of companies. In order to encourage responsible consumption and ensure adequate water distribution, the city oversees its use. Learn everything you need to know about water use.
Compliance with regulations
Whether for daily water use or a spring clean-up, you must comply with certain regulations:
- Automatic watering systems or movable sprinklers (e.g., oscillating sprinkler, soaker hose) can only be used on even- or odd-numbered days, based on whether you live at an even- or odd-numbered civic address.
- On authorized days, you can water between 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. with an automatic system or between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. with a movable sprinkler.
- You can water a new landscape design or a new lawn every day for 15 days following planting or seeding.
- It is prohibited to use a watering hose to clean paved surfaces, patios or exterior walls, except between April 1 and May 15, or for purposes of cleanliness or following work that justifies watering (e.g., work that generates a significant amount of dust).
- It is prohibited to fill a pool between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m., except between April 1 and May 15, or when installing a new pool.
- Any landscaping basin that features a waterfall or a fountain must be equipped with a water recirculation system.
- Air conditioning or refrigeration systems that use drinking water without a recirculation loop have been prohibited since January 1, 2018.
Did you know that you can water a vegetable garden, planters, flower beds or plants at any time, except when it rains, using a water nozzle that shuts off when you let go? Watering with water from a rain barrel is permitted at all times.
Comply with watering restrictions
When a watering restriction is in force in your area, it is important to reduce your water consumption in order to ensure adequate water distribution.
For the reasons mentioned above, the city oversees the use of water and ensures compliance with the regulations. Residents who do not comply will be subject to fines.