Support for festivals and cultural events
Are you a cultural or community organization producing a festival or cultural event on the local, municipal, regional, national or international scale? Montréal offers financial assistance to help you carry out your project.
The 2023 version of the programme de soutien aux festivals et aux événements culturels (program to support festivals and cultural events, PSFEC in French) now includes 3 components:
- Component I: Professional cultural organizations
- Component II: Cultural or community organizations
- Component III: Festival and cultural events
Please note: The Program to support expressions of cultural diversity (DCESP) is now included in all three components of this program.
General eligibility criteria
- Be a non-profit organization that has been legally incorporated for at least six months prior to the date the application is filed
- Be headquartered in Montréal
- Produce the event in Montréal
- Declare any partnerships and financial assistance agreements with the city (central services, boroughs, arts centres and other performance sites) and with the federal and provincial governments
- Have met its commitments related to previously allocated financial support and be in good standing with the various city services and the tax authorities
During the same year, do not file two applications to the Service de la culture for the same project.
- Organizations (including all their entities) that receive annual grants of more than $250,000 from the city.
- Educational and vocational training institutions
- Non-profit organizations applying for their operating budget
- Non-profit organizations applying for contributions for the following activities:
- Fairs, markets, showcases, exhibitions, galas, competitions, conferences and conventions
- Outdoor activities presented on public or private property that charge an admission fee
- Events that are primarily religious, political or commercial
- Fundraising activities
- Projects related to the celebration of national holidays
- Non-cultural or sporting community events
- Festivals and events integrated into the programming or developed in parallel with a market or a cultural and creative showcase
Eligible expenses are those related to the production, promotion and administration of the project.
- Operating costs of the organizations (rent, electricity, insurance, etc.)
- Capital projects, including leasehold improvements
- Projects already supported by the Service de la culture
- Project cost overruns and the organization’s deficit.
Component 1: Professional cultural organizations
This component aims to support projects intended to develop a professional artistic practice through the staging of a festival.
Sectors: circus arts, media arts, performing arts, public art and visual arts, film and video, literature and storytelling, humor, new artistic practices and multidisciplinary practices.
- Project must be carried out between January 1 and December 31, 2023
- Have a minimum duration of three consecutive days and a maximum of 30 consecutive days (with the exception of visual arts projects, which can be carried out over a longer period)
- Have regional, national or international scope, and be promoted accordingly
- Include partnerships and professional meetings intended to foster discipline and sharing of practices with other actors of the cultural milieu
- In the case of a biennial or triennial event, submit an application exclusively for the year in which the event is held
- Have a minimum production budget of $100,000
The maximum financial contribution is $55,000 and cannot exceed eight per cent of eligible expenses.
Component 2: Cultural or community organizations
This component aims to support activities in the field of culture, social and community development or citizen involvement.
Have a minimum duration of two days (consecutive or not) and a maximum of 30 consecutive days
Be carried out between January 1 and December 31, 2023
Unfold on the borough or the city scale, or beyond, and be promoted accordingly
Have programming that focuses on Montreal’s diversity and encourages dialogue, networking and discovery
Highlight an artistic program
In the case of a biennial or triennial event, submit an application exclusively for the year in which the event is held
Have a minimum production budget of $30,000.
The maximum financial contribution is $30,000 and cannot exceed 20 per cent of eligible expenses.
Component 3: Cultural and festive events
This component aims to support cultural events, whether recurring or not.
Have a minimum duration of one day and a maximum of 30 consecutive days
Have a regional, or even national or international scope, and be promoted accordingly
Include a festive theme and encourage the participation of a large number of Montrealers
Feature an artistic program
Have a minimum production budget of $75,000.
The maximum financial contribution is $35,000 and cannot exceed 20 per cent of eligible expenses.
Submit a project
You have until Friday, January 13, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. to submit your project.
It takes approximately four months from the time the application is submitted to the time the decision is announced.
Consultez le Guide de présentation du programme pour connaître l’ensemble des détails.
- Program to Support Festivals and Cultural Events (PSFEC) 2023 [PDF 504 KB]
- COMPONENT I - Questions for project submission - PSFEC 2023 [PDF 88 KB]
- COMPONENT II - Questions for project submission - PSFEC 2023 [PDF 88 KB]
- COMPONENT III - Questions for project submission - PSFEC 2023 [PDF 88 KB]
- Liste des organismes soutenus - festivals et événements 2023 (in French) [PDF 77 KB]
Virtual information sessions
Virtual information sessions will be presented on November 16 and 30, 2022.
Thanks for your interest!
You will receive the next edition of our newsletter very soon.