In Montréal, only certain types of pets are authorized. At-risk or potentially dangerous dogs are also subject to specific regulations. Here is the list of authorized pets.
List of authorized pets
In Montréal, you are allowed to keep the following domestic animals or pets:
- dog, except dangerous dogs or dog hybrids
- domestic rodent weighing less than 1.5 kg
- sugar glider born in captivity
- hedgehog born in captivity
- bird born in captivity
- reptile born in captivity
- American toad, wood frog, leopard frog, green frog, mudpuppy, bullfrog, eastern newt, and any exotic amphibian, except those that are venomous
- fish permitted to be kept in captivity
It is prohibited to keep in captivity an animal that is not on this list.
Prohibited dog breeds
In Montréal, dangerous dogs and dog hybrids are prohibited. It is also prohibited to bring to Montréal a dog that:
- has already bitten or attacked a person or a pet in another city
- or has attempted to do so
A dangerous dog is a dog that:
- has caused the death of a person, an authorized pet or a banned dog;
- has been deemed dangerous by a competent authority.
A dog hybrid is a dog that has been crossed with another mammal, such as a wolf or a coyote.
will become your favourite borough.