The library card gives you access to all the services, resources and collections housed across the library network as well as to other cultural and recreational services. It is free of charge for Montréal residents.
The card features a bar code and a subscription number. A personal password is also required.
The card lets the holder benefit from a variety of on-site and online services.
What you can do with the library card
- Borrow books, films (DVD and Blu-ray) and discs (CD or LP) in all Montréal libraries.
- Borrow toys, society games, musical instruments, and recreational equipment in certain Montréal libraries.
- Access the Nelligan catalogue to search for books and other documents.
- Reserve books, films, music and other objects.
- Use the digital library: books, newspapers, online courses.
- View your online subscription and change your personal information.
- Use a computer or a tablet at the library.
- Participate in numerous activities and training courses.
- Use Loisirs Montréal’s online service to reserve sports facilities and playing fields.
Free of charge or paid
The library card is free of charge for all adults and children living in Montréal’s 19 boroughs.
It is valid for a period of two years.
People who do not live in Montréal are required to pay for the library card, except if they are:
- owners of a dwelling or room located in Montréal
- students in Montréal
- representatives of an organization located in Montréal
- employees of the Ville de Montréal
People who do not belong to these four categories are required to pay a fee, based on their age group:
- ages 13 and under (children)
- ages 14-64 (adults)
- ages 65 and older (seniors)
All you need to do is subscribe to get a card.
Information and services
will become your favourite borough.