Short-term tourist rentals

Last updated May 5, 2022

Under what conditions can you rent short-term accommodations to tourists? Do you need a permit or certificate if you rent a home to tourists through Airbnb?

Find out everything you need to know.

What is a short-term tourist rental?

Short-term tourist rentals mean renting all or part of a home to tourists for fewer than 31 days. 

This definition includes primary and secondary homes offered for rental on Airbnb or Facebook. 

Are these rentals subject to rules or regulations?

To rent accommodations to tourists in Montréal for 31 days or fewer, you need an establishment number, and, if applicable, a classification certificate issued by the Corporation de l’Industrie Touristique du Québec (CITQ). This certificate, which is issued in banner format, states the name of the accommodation, its category and its classification. 

As of May 1, 2020, you must put your establishment number on any advertisement to rent your space, whether online or offline.

Renting your home in authorized areas  

Some boroughs authorize tourist rentals in certain areas only. These are usually the most populated areas or those with the greatest density. Contact your permits counter to find out if your home is in an authorized area. A commercial or professional activity occupancy permit can then be issued.

This permit must be displayed in any place that is not your living space. It shows what uses and activities are authorized and under what conditions as per the city’s urban planning by-law. All occupancy certificates are tied to the establishment and its owner.

You must also display the CITQ-issued banner in a publicly visible place, the main entrance or the reception area.

Do not install key boxes and other items tourists need to come and go independently anywhere on public property, or they will be removed. 

Be sure you comply with all municipal health and sanitation regulations.

You can report an illegal tourist home to Revenu Québec.

Learn more about the topic