Rue Peel is being completely rebuilt, focusing on local mobility and providing a better experience for its many users. The necessary modernization of its utility networks and water mains provides an opportunity to transform the public realm of this vibrant and historic street.
Now in your neighbourhood
2022–2024: Infrastructure and redesign work between Rue Sainte-Catherine and Boulevard René-Lévesque
Schedule to be confirmed: Redesign work between Rue Sherbrooke and Rue Sainte-Catherine
Peel, between Rue Smith and Boulevard René-Lévesque
Rue Peel is now more attractive for users, thanks to the following actions:
- Construction of protected bicycle paths, part of the Express Bike Network (EBN)
- Widening of sidewalks and installation of granite curbs and concrete pavers
- Creation of large covered tree pits and the addition of 78 trees
- Installation of tree grates with designs inspired by archeological discoveries
- Inclusion of new urban furniture
- Addition of new LED street lights
- Reconstruction or rehabilitation of some parts of the water and sewer system not previously repaired
- Replacement of electricity, gas and telecommunication networks/lines
Infrastructure and redesign work between Avenue des Pins and Rue Sherbrooke.
Infrastructure work between Rue Notre-Dame and Rue Wellington, as well as between Rue Saint-Antoine and Rue Saint-Jacques.
Why is this necessary?
Some sections of Rue Peel have seen their aging underground infrastructures (water and sewers) replaced recently, but work remains to be done on the rest of the street. This gives the city a unique opportunity to transform the public realm so as to provide citizens with a more enjoyable, more user-friendly space.
The project also provides an opportunity to showcase Montréal’s rich millennial history and encourage safer, more enjoyable active mobility and public transit.
Work in Progress Notices
- Travaux rue Peel: Fermeture complète, entre les avenues du Docteur-Penfield et des Pins, le 6 novembre 2021 (in French) [PDF 433 KB]
- Rue Peel - Partial reopening of Rue Peel and Partial opening of the REV - september 2021 [PDF 1 MB]
- Rue Peel: Complete closure of rue Peel - August 14 and 15 , 2021 [PDF 389 KB]
- Travaux rue Peel - Réaménagement de la rue Peel, entre les rues Notre-Dame et le boulevard René-Lévesque à compter du 7 juin (in French) [PDF 393 KB]
- Travaux rue Peel - travaux et entraves dès le 6 avril (in French) [PDF 619 KB]
- Travaux rue Peel - Reprise des travaux entre la rue Notre-Dame et le boulevard René-Lévesque, à compter du 1er février 2021 (in French) [PDF 525 KB]
To learn about the project’s progress and view recent notices to local residents, consult the Info-travaux map.
Visit these sites to learn more about the various components of this project: City of Montréal Urban Planning website
Some work was also done on rue Peel before the begining of the project. For a detailed description of the completed interventions, see: