Last updated December 9, 2021

An excavation permit is required to carry out certain work operations on private or public property. If the work concerns water or sewer services, a cutting permit is required. Find out which permit to apply for, depending on the situation.

Excavation permit

This permit is required to:

  • Replace or waterproof a foundation.
  • Install or replace a French drain. 
  • Install pilings.
  • Decontaminate a lot.
  • Construct a new building.
  • Remove a buried oil tank.

Cutting permit

This permit is required for water and sewer connection work:

  • Water and sewer connections on private property (repairs).
  • Change or replace a connection.
  • Disconnect a water or sewer connection (disjunction and walling).
  • Install a sprinkler.
  • Install new water and sewer connections (existing or new building).

These two types of permit allow you to carry out work on private property and on the public portion.

Learn more about the topic