The living environment in Lachine is truly outstanding. The Borough is known for its magnificent waterfront parks, its heritage sites, its sports and cultural facilities and its quality educational institutions. Strong population growth is expected over the coming years. The Lachine-Est sector, a former industrial district currently undergoing a real transformation, could eventually be home to some 4,800 families. Located at the crossroads of highways and served by two commuter train stations, Lachine benefits from a strategic location. In fact, it boasts one of the largest industrial parks.
- Established in 1667, Lachine is one of the first three parishes on the island of Montréal. Situated upstream of the Rapides de Lachine, it became a key location for the fur trade. Indigenous peoples have been present on the territory for 2,000 years.
- Initially named Saint-Sulpice, Lachine was originally a seigneury granted to René Robert Cavelier de La Salle, who decided to set out to discover the route to China. As the expedition proved unsuccessful, Saint-Sulpice was humorously nicknamed “Lachine”. This name became official in 1676 when the parish of Les Saints-Anges de Lachine was created.
- Some important dates in the history of Lachine:
- Borough Manager: André Hamel
- Director of Administrative services and urban projects: Myrabelle Chicoine
- Director of Urban planning and business services: Michel Séguin
- Director of Public works: Moris Markarian
- Director of Culture, sports, recreation and social development: Julie Perron
- 1concert hall and exhibition room
- 1large park (parc René-Lévesque)
- 3community gardens
- 23soccer fields
- 5outdoor swimming pools
- 3play fountains
- 3wading pools
- 20tennis court
- 5pickleball fields
- 9baseball fields
- 8skating rinks
- 1public market
- 1ski slope
- 1volleyball court
- 1dance floor
- 1running track
Discover the Borough of Lachine!
- 45 743population
- 17,7 km²superficie
- 2 584habitants au km²
- 444 900 $valeur moyenne d’une propriété unifamiliale
- 253 600 $valeur moyenne d’une propriété de type appartement-condo
- 40 620 $revenu moyen par année