Indoor renovations

Last updated May 31, 2021

Are you planning to renovate the inside of your home, tear down a wall or change the number of dwellings? Before undertaking the work, learn what you need to know about the applicable regulations and the required permits.

To renovate the interior of your building, you must comply with federal and provincial regulations as well as the applicable regulations in your borough. A permit is often required to carry out work.

The following factors may influence the standards with which you must comply:

  • Type of work (work that affects the structure or foundation)
  • Nature of the building (single-family home, semi-detached, multiplex, etc.)
  • Use of the building (residential, commercial, mixed, etc.)
  • Borough in which the work will be performed

Changing the number of dwellings in a building

If you would like to reduce or increase the number of dwellings in your building, you may need to request a municipal number or have one cancelled.

If you have any questions, please contact the permit counter in the borough where the work will be performed.

Renovation permit

Learn more about the topic

Shows borough content for
Find a borough to filter the list of search content.