What areas in Montréal are prone to flooding? What times of the year are associated with the highest risk? Find out about the risk of major floods.
Call 311 to find out if your home is located in a flood zone.
Major floods usually occur:
- In the spring when snow melts
- During the winter, when ice forms and blocks a stream or river
Areas on the shores of Lac des Deux Montagnes and the Rivière des Prairies have a higher risk of floods. The risk is not as high for people living on the shores of the St. Lawrence River and Lac Saint-Louis. Real-time data (in French) is published by the Ministère de l’Environnement et de Lutte contre les changements climatiques.
Available equipment and material
The city has a wide range of equipment that can be set up quickly in areas affected by flooding. Trucks, mechanical shovels and other equipment are also rented during at-risk periods.
Here is an overview of equipment and material.
- Concrete barriers (Jersey barriers)
- MuscleWall-type protective barriers
- Empty bags
- Bulk sand and pebbles
- “Citadelle” dikes (bigwhite bags)
- Plastic sheeting
- Submersible pumps
- Gas pumps
Information and services
Tips and articles
- Emergency disaster preparedness kit
- Flooding 2021 - State of the situation in Pierrefonds-Roxboro
- Flooding: How to protect your home
- Flooding: Instructions for evacuation
- Floods 2020
- How to deal with shortage of drinking water
- Make a family emergency plan
- Stay informed when disaster strikes
- What to do after a flood
will become your favourite borough.