Household waste or garbage should not contain recyclable materials (paper, cardboard, glass, metal and some plastics) since these must be put out in the recycling bin, nor should it contain food waste if this is collected separately in your area.
To find out the collection schedule, see Info-Collectes.
Other drop-off points: ERPA-Québec
If you own a new residential building with 30 dwellings or more and need to remove, add or change containers, you must contact 311. We will assess the type and number of authorized containers. The owner is responsible for the cost of containers.
Good to know
To avoid being fined, please be sure to comply with collection schedules and conditions.
- Broken binders, padded envelopes
- Broken dishes (porcelain or ceramic)
- Broken tools, screws or nails
- Broken toys
- Carpets and rugs
- Cat litter
- Cereal, cracker or potato chip bags
- Garden hoses
- Light bulbs
- Mineral wools, acoustic tiles, tarry materials from flat roofs
- Plastic utensils (#6)
- Pool liners
- Sanitary pads
- Styrofoam (polystyrene (#6))
- Toothpaste tubes
- Upholstered furniture or items covered with fabric, leather or other upholstering material, such as sofas, armchairs, chairs, mattresses
- Waxed papers, stretch films, carbon papers, metallic papers, wallpapers
- Asphalt shingles
- Automobile tires
- Bulky items
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs
- Construction, demolition, and renovation debris: asphalt, concrete, mortar, ceramic, etc.
- Dangerous, explosive or toxic materials: used oil, paint, solvents, etc.
- Dead animals
- Electronic products and small parts: stereo systems, printers, DVD players, personal computers, CRT and flat screen televisions, etc.
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Green waste: sweepings, grass clippings, weeds, leaves, trimmings, etc. (outside the period of green waste collections)
- Household appliances: kitchen stoves, washing machines, clothes dryers, etc.
- Movie films
- Recyclable materials
- Reusable materials
- Sharp-edged materials that can cut or prick: pieces of glass, etc.
- Stones, rocks
- Tree branches, stumps and trunks
- Vehicle batteries
- Black wheeled bins, equipped with handles, a cover and compliant lifting system, from 120 to maximum 360 litres and 25 kg (55 lb)
- Garbage cans equipped with handles, of maximum 150 litres and 25 kg (55 lb)
- Plastic bags, opaque, properly closed, from 50 to maximum 150 litres and maximum 25 kg (55 lb)
- Limit of 360 litres per residential unit
- Limit of 720 litres per industrial or commercial facility
- Limit of 5 m3 per address
- Household waste that is too big for authorized containers can be put out for collection without a container - 25 kg (55 lb) maximum.