Montréal’s municipal court is a tribunal that offers civil, criminal and penal legal services within Montréal city limits.
The municipal court’s judicial services include the handling of a large number of criminal cases and the processing of statements of offence related to parking and traffic violations, pet behaviour, and other non-compliance with municipal regulations (cleanliness, waste collection, urban planning, etc.).
The municipal court rules on statements of offence reported in Montréal’s 19 boroughs or in a reconstituted city (Dorval, Pointe-Claire, Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Westmount, Town of Mount Royal, etc.).
The activities of Montréal’s municipal court are deployed all across the island, at points of service and in easily accessible borough offices .
Points of service
The municipal court’s main courthouse, located in Ville-Marie, has two service counters. The points of service in the north, east and south quadrants of the island also offer court-related services to residents.
Hearing are also held on the West Island (401 Blvd. St-Jean, Pointe-Claire). This location does not have a service counter.
- Main courthouse
- Service counter at the main courthouse
- Point of service for the eastern island of Montréal
- Point of service for the northern island of Montréal
- Point of service for the southern island of Montréal (closed until August 29, 2022)
Accès Montréal offices and reconstituted cities
The 19 boroughs and reconstituted cities are business partners of the municipal court. They offer certain services at Accès Montréal offices and in reconstituted cities, such as paying a ticket or making an installment payment under a payment agreement.
Legal fees of the municipal court
Provincial laws determine the legal fees for judicial procedures at the municipal court.
- Tariff in criminal matters
- Tariff of court costs in penal matters
- Tariff of court costs in civil matters and court office (registry) fees
- Tariff of fees for the recording and transcription of depositions of witnesses
- Regulation respecting certain court costs in penal matters applicable to persons under 18 years of age
Thanks for your interest!
You will receive the next edition of our newsletter very soon.